In what was the most exciting game of this Indiana vs. Orlando series, Indiana edged the home team Orlando Magic by 2 in overtime. Orlando fought back from a large fourth quarter deficit to tie the game and send it into overtime, after a Jameer Nelson miss at the buzzer for the win. Almost the exact same situation occurred in overtime where Glen Davis took the final shot, this time for the tie, but was unable to connect. Indiana now takes a 3-1 lead back home to Indiana.
Stars of the Game:
ORL: Glen Davis, PF/C, 24 points on 10/18 from the field, 4 Offensive rebounds
IND: David West, PF, 26 points on 11/23 shooting
ORL: H. Turkoglu, SF, and J. Richardson, SG, 2 Steals and 1 Block each
IND: Roy Hibbert, C, 3 Blocks and 11 rebounds
Indiana allowed Orlando to creep back into this game, but sealed it with offensive execution and, rebounding, and two very clutch free throws by George Hill. David West was playing at a level, as was Danny Granger. This relieved Hibbert’s offensive pressure and allowed him to focus on the defensive end. Despite Glen Davis scoring 24 points, Hibbert played pretty well in the post even though he fouled out.
The Magic fought hard in this game, especially Jason Richardson, Jameer Nelson, and Glen Davis. They carried this team, but ultimately fell short in a well contested game that require overtime.
Top 3 Concerns:
- Defending Glen “Big Baby” Davis
- Losing a 19 point lead
- Foul Calls
- Controlling David West
- Rebounding Battle
- The stats do not always tell the entire story. The Magic only shot 31% from 3-point range, but the three pointer is one of the reasons they were able to get back in the game.
- Despite winning, Indiana had more turnovers compared to Orlando again. They need to execute more efficiently moving forward.
- If David West can maintain his offensive execution, Hibbert can focus primarily on defense and that combo will have lethal potential.
- Glen “Big Baby” Davis has played excellently night in and night out. His teammates need to rally around him to win some more games. Turkoglu and Anderson are big men that can shoot from distance and need to find their shot more.
3 Keys to Next Game:
- Run the offense through David West
- Double team Glen Davis (moderately)
- Get Hibbert involved in the offense early, to establish rhythm
- Attack from the tip and minimize Indiana’s home court advantage
- Play David West more physically
- Play the passing lanes on the wing
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
7:00 PM ET
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/JohnYJArmstrong