That sound you hear is of the collective sighs of Los Angeles Lakers fans, after Indiana Pacers star Paul George’s latest comments.
In July, George said that “it would be hard to say no to Kobe” if the Lakers came knocking on his front porch during the summer of 2014 — when he becomes a restricted free agent. However, we may never get to that point.
George has until the October 31 deadline to sign a long-term contract extension, which would allow him to avoid free agency altogether. Apparently, that looks like where we’re heading.
“(A long-term contract) is going to get done,” George told The Indianapolis Star. “There will be a deal signed and sealed on the table before the season. We’re (George and Pacers management) on the same page.” …
Pacers President Larry Bird said earlier this week he hopes to reach a deal before the season because it would remove a potential distraction and give George a sense of security that many players crave — including Bird himself during his Hall of Fame career with the Boston Celtics.
“We are working on it now,” Bird said. “We’ve got a way set up where we definitely think we can get something done, but it’s going to have to work for both parties.”
The Pacers are coming off one of their most successful seasons in recent history, making it to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. They would be beyond dumb to just let George walk, it doesn’t look like they’re going to let that happen.
Unfortunately, it comes at the possible expense of Lakers fans. Either way, we all win…right?