While many are already putting pen to paper (really finger to keys) to write that we’ve seen the last of Steve Nash, Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said on Tuesday that his point guard is “going to try and do everything he can to come back” from the back, hamstring and nerve irritation issues that he’s been suffering from.
“He’s 39, almost 40 years old. I think he’s looking at, ‘What am I going to do when I’m 50?’ But no [he's not thinking of retiring],” D’Antoni told ESPN. “Now, whether he can get over this, we’ll see. We think he can. We hope he can. But there’s no talk of him sitting over there eating bon bons the rest of the way. No.”
Right now Nash is out at least for another week and a half. When he was “healthy” earlier this season, he played just 22 minutes per game. The Lakers owe him $9.3 million this season and $9.7 million in 2014.
If Nash would in fact “retire” due to health reasons, he would be full compensated and be off the Lakers books next season — aka he wouldn’t count against their cap and it would give the Lakers extra cap room to work with.
Still, it appears that Nash is going to give it one more try. Here’s to hoping he can leave the NBA on his terms.