Rajon Rondo, Celtics discussed contract extension

Jan 21, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra and Lionel Richie (left) watch Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo (9) in the second half at American Airlines Arena. The Heat won 93-86. Mandatory Credit: Robert Mayer-USA TODAY Sports

According to Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, the team and All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo have talked about a contract extension but will likely resume discussions after the season because of restrictions in the CBA.

Next season, Rondo will be entering the final year of a five-year, $55 million extension that he signed back in 2009. It is believed that if Rondo hits the free agency market in 2015, he’ll definitely be him high demand.

“We did talk to Rondo about extending him,”Ainge said Thursday on Boston sports radio 98.5 the SportsHub, via ESPN.com. “But that’s all part of the negotiation that will happen again this summer and most likely the summer after.”

”In the collective bargaining agreement, there are limits on what can and can’t be done,” Ainge said. “Really, it’s not that Rondo doesn’t want to accept an extension, as much as it’s just not financially smart for him to accept it right now. We didn’t think he would [sign], but we did try.”

Rondo is averaging five points and four assists in three games so far this season.

 

Topics: Boston Celtics, NBA, NBA Rumors, Rajon Rondo

Want more from Sir Charles In Charge?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.

TEAMFeed More Sir Charles in Charge news from the Fansided Network

Hot on the Web From golf.com