Coach Mike Krzyzewski and Team USA Basketball made its final cuts at the wee hours of last night, almost immediately following their 112-86 exhibition win over Puerto Rico. Even though the team didn’t need to narrow its roster down to 12 until Aug. 29, when they take the team flight out out to Spain later today it will consist of the final roster.
Looking at the roster at a whole, it’s hard to argue with the selections, after all what other nation has the luxury to send the type of talent that is littered around the roster that USA is sending?
Here is the final FIBA USA roster:
Small Forwards: Rudy Gay
With that said, here are a few concerns that I’ve come across on the roster selections from coach K:
- Don’t really get the selection of Derrick Rose over someone like Damian Lillard. Will Rose be able to be available for all nine games in 14 days? I highly doubt that.
- Essentially four centers? I feel like USA could’ve used someone like Lillard over someone who shouldn’t be on the team, like Mason Plumlee.
- I guess Team USA will be prepared for Spain, at least up front?
- I don’t like the fact that USA doesn’t have an elite guard/wing defender in the rotation.
- Then again, I feel like coach K built this team to matchup with Spain. We’ll see if it’s enough. I have my reservations.